Landlord Responsibilities For Domestic Appliance Repairs

Domestic appliances are great, and they often go unnoticed, when they work. But when they break down they can cause stress and frustration. This is even more so if the property in which the appliance(s) reside is occupied under a tenancy agreement.

Is my landlord responsible for repairing my domestic appliances?

The answer to this is much more complicated than the question.

Generally speaking, in the United Kingdom, the Landlord And Tenant Act 1985 applies to to all short leases (of less than seven years) and periodic tenancies. This act states that a landlord is responsible:

a. to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,

b. to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and

c. to keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water .”

source: Section 11, Landlord and Tenant Act, 1985

Most landlords will follow good practice and carry out annual gas and electrical safety checks to comply with section b above.

Any furnishing or equipment provided by the landlord under the tenancy agreement must be in safe and good working order. The exact responsibilities will be detailed in the agreement so it is worth checking what’s covered. As an example; if the gas cooker hob develops a gas leak then, subject to the agreement, the landlord may be required to make the property safe (fix the leak) but not the cooker faults themselves.

Please note tenants are always responsible for their own belongings.

Requesting a repair

If your tenancy agreement states the landlord is responsible for the repair to your white goods then you will need to log the repair request with them. If the property is managed by a letting’s agent then you may need to contact them instead. This can be done either verbally or in writing, but we recommend the latter so you have a record of the request.

The landlord may organise the repair themselves or ask you do to this.

If you feel your landlord or tenant is not carrying out their responsibilities then we would recommend, in all circumstances, that you seek professional advice.

Leave a Reply

Useful? Share It!




Useful? Share It!